Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts

The Chancenkarte

Job search

Job search, © Colourbox

06.06.2024 - Artikel

General information

The Chancenkarte (Eng. Job search opportunity card from 01.06.2024) is a new legal basis in the German Residence Act to enable controlled access to job searching in Germany. In addition to job searching, it also enables the search for measures to recognize foreign professional qualifications in Germany. The Chancenkarte can be obtained in two ways:

  • Third-country nationals who can prove that their foreign qualification is fully equivalent and are therefore considered 'skilled workers' can receive the Chancenkarte without any further special requirements if they can prove that they are able to support themselves. For those with a Bachelor’s / Master’s Degree generally database ANABIN gives information about the degree and this information has to be provided with the application
  • All other applicants must provide proof of a foreign university degree, a vocational qualification of at least two years' duration (recognized by the state in the country of training) or a vocational qualification issued by a German chamber of commerce abroad. In addition, either basic German (level A1) or English language skills (level B2) are required. If these requirements are met, you can collect different numbers of points for criteria such as recognition of qualifications in Germany, language skills, professional experience, age and connection to Germany as well as the potential of the accompanying spouse or partner. At least 6 points must be achieved in order to receive the Chancenkarte. The Chancenkarte is issued for a maximum of one year if you are able to secure your livelihood for this period. It offers opportunities for trial work or part-time employment of 20 hours a week during your stay in Germany. Further information on the opportunity card (in particular a 'self-check') and general information on working and living in Germany can be found on www.make-it-in-germany.com

Required documents

When applying, the following documents must be submitted in original with one copy, individually and not stapled together:

  • Application form: a fully completed and signed printout of your electronically completed visa application VIDEX . The electronically completed visa application speeds up processing at the embassy. If you cannot fill out the application electronically, you can download the application form here.
  • Current biometric passport photo

  • Passport, valid minimum nine months after entry in Germany (signed by the holder, the passport needs to have at least 2 consecutive blank pages).

  • One photocopy of the passport biodata page
  • Proof of your habitual residence in Italy in the last six months:

    - Italian residence permit or Italian visa with a minimum validity of 6 months

    - Italian proof of residence

    - other evidence proving your habitual residence in Italy in the last 6 months (e.g. bank statements/credit card statements for expenses in Italy, gas, telephone or electricity bills in your name, proof of employment in Italy, for minors Proof of school attendance etc.).
    Please ensure that you can provide sufficient evidence to submit your application.
    If you habitually reside outside of Italy, the German Embassy in Rome is not the competent authority. If the habitual residence cannot be proven when submitting the application, the application cannot be accepted by the visa office

  • Letter of motivation: It should be clear which areas of work and jobs in Germany you are interested in, where you want to apply and where you want to stay in Germany (including details of accommodation and other living expenses). And - if applicable - what measures you are planning to take in Germany to have your foreign professional qualification recognised
  • Curriculum Vitae on your professional career to date
  • Proof of sufficient funds:
    You can cover the costs of living in Germany with your own funds or with a formal letter of obligation. In addition, a secondary employment permitted by the Chancenkarte can also be taken into account if this is already foreseeable. Please provide evidence of this as follows, if applicable in your case:
  1. Own funds in a bank account: In principle, each applicant must have at least EUR 1,027 per month available for your stay in Germany, which is a sum of EUR 12,324 for the standard validity period of the Chancenkarte of 12 months. You can prove this with Italian bank statements or a so-called blocked bank account.
  2. Blocked account: Please open the blocked account in good time before applying for a visa. When applying for a visa, only the official opening confirmation from the bank stating the total amount paid in and the monthly amount available will be accepted. A confirmation without stating these amounts is not sufficient, nor is the deposit or transfer receipt without the bank's confirmation.
  3. Secondary employment: If you already have a specific part-time job in Germany in prospect, you can provide evidence of this in the form of an employment contract or a binding job offer stating the weekly working hours and monthly earnings.
  4. Obligation Letter (Verpflichtungserklärung): Proof by means of a formal letter of obligation in accordance with §§ 66, 68 AufenthG, in which a person undertakes in writing to the German immigration authority (Ausländerbehörde) to bear the costs (original + copy).
  • Private health insurance (usually called 'incoming insurance') valid throughout the Schengen area, minimum cover of €30,000, valid for the entire period of validity of the visa (proof must be provided at the latest when you collect your visa!

Do you have a German professional training or a German university degree? Or foreign professional training or a foreign university degree, both of which are recognised in Germany? Then you are a 'skilled worker' within the meaning of § 18 III AufenthG and you do not need to collect points to obtain the Chancenkarte. Please provide proof of your qualification as a skilled worker:

  • Professional training qualification in Germany (original + copy)


  • University degree in Germany (original or copy)


  • Recognition of the equivalence of the foreign professional qualification by the respective body responsible for recognition (original + copy)


  • Recognition of the equivalence of the foreign university degree (printout from the ANABIN database for your university degree)

OR: (if the degree in the ANABIN database is not rated „equivalent“ and/or the university is not rated „H+“)

  • Evaluation by the Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen ZAB (original + copy)

OR: (for regulated professions for which a licence is required to practise the profession (Berufsausübungserlaubnis), e. g. doctors, engineers; complete list available from the Federal Employment Agency or the EU Commission)

  • Licence to practise the profession from the competent authority (Berufsausbildungserlaubnis) or assurance of the licence to practise the profession (Zusicherung der Berufsausübungserlaubnis) - e. g. for medical professions: decision of the competent authority in Germany, i.e. assurance of the licence to practise the profession or granting of the medical licence (Approbation) in original + copy

Information on the topic of recognition can be found at www.anerkennung-in-deutschland.de.

If you are not a skilled worker (see definition above), you must fulfil and prove the following requirements:

  • Foreign training qualification (original + copy) AS WELL AS
  • Certificate (original + copy) from the Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen (ZAB) about your foreign professional qualification (federal recognition, at least 2 years of training) OR
  • Partial recognition certificate/deficit certification for your professional qualification (original + copy)


  • Foreign university degree (original + copy) AS WELL AS
  • Proof of state recognition of the university degree - either through

- Determination of the (conditional) comparability of the foreign university degree (printout from the ANABIN database for your university degree and your university)

OR: (if the degree in the ANABIN database is not rated „equivalent“ and/or the university is not rated „H+“)

- Certificate evaluation by the Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen (original + copy)


- Professional qualification from a German Chamber of Foreign Trade with corresponding confirmation from the Bundesinstitut für Berufsbildung (BIBB) (originals + copy)

Language Skills

  • Certificate (original + copy) of your German language skills - at least A1!


  • Certificate (original + copy) of your knowledge of the English language - at least B2! The language institute of the certificate must be certified by the 'Association of Language Testers in Europe' (ALTE); alternatively, the 'Test of English as a Foreign Language' (TOEFL) is also accepted.

Note: The documents listed above are also relevant for calculating the number of points for the Chancenkarte! For example, you can receive points for German and English language skills at certain levels, as well as for partial recognition of your foreign professional qualification.

You can also collect points for the Chancenkarte (details of the achievable scores can be found on on www.make-it-in-germany.com) with the following evidence:

  • Proof of your professional experience in the last 5 or 7 years, if this is related to your professional qualification: Employment references, employer certificates, etc. (originals + copy)
  • If you have resided legally in Germany for at least 6 months without interruption within the last 5 years (short stays under Schengen law do not count) please prove this with suitable documents, e. g. with
    - rental contracts
    - employment contracts, service contracts, etc.
    - Passports with visas and entry stamps
  • Would your spouse/partner also like to apply for a Chancenkarte - or even already has one - and then enter Germany together with you? If yes, then one of you can collect 1 additional point for the Chancenkarte. If applicable, please also submit corresponding proof for the Chancenkarte application of your spouse/partner.


The visa fee amounts to 75 EUR.

nach oben